Highlights from this week’s newspaper. Just missed out on the air announcement but no doubt will be covered in detail next Friday.
The Full Paper http://www.saint.fm/the-independent/
1. The International Pole & Line Foundation (IPNLF), the nonprofit organisation that is committed to developing and supporting responsible one-by-one tuna fisheries and supply chains, is delighted to announce that Julie Thomas has been appointed as it’s St Helena Project Manager with immediate effect.
2. The St Helena Manifesto-It is now time for all of us to consider in which direction St Helena is going and to make any necessary decisions which will affect our lives, the lives of our children and those who will follow us in the future. If we fail to consider this matter we cannot complain later that we were not aware of the future. If we fail to make decisions about the future we will not be able to say that we had no choice.
3. A Wideawake runway problem with a difference Flights to an airport in the Solomon Islands have been suspended since 28th June due to “poor runway conditions”. This sounds similar to the problem at Wideawake but the similarity ends there. A report on an aviation news website last week told of the authorities expressing regret because the necessary work will not be completed until tomorrow – 22nd July.
4. Louise MacMorran has been appointed as the new Head of the Governor’s Office and succeeds Judi Leon who left the Island on 6 June 2017. Louise will arrive in September and will be joined by her partner Dave later in the year. Louise said of her appointment: “I am delighted to be joining the Governor’s team. I look forward to learning all about St Helena and how I can support the Saints as the new Head of the Governor’s Office.”
5. See the councillor btoadcasts and pleas to vote for them
6. Read all of the General Election manifestos for each of the aspirant councillors.
7. New Horizons Trip to Ascension Island 2017